Thursday, 29 November 2012
I have 17 different makeup brushes that I use and I love them all, but I thought I'd narrow it down to my top 5 and tell you why they're my favourites...
1. Blush - The Real Techniques Blush brush is so soft and amazing for applying my bronzer and blusher. The tapered end is perfect for contouring with my bronzer as well as applying blusher to the apples of my cheeks. Sometimes I even use it to top up my powder on my T-Zone as it's easier to carry around than the Powder brush. It also picks up just the right amount of product.
2. Buffing - The Real Techniques Buffing Brush comes in the Core Collection set. I also have the Expert Face Brush and the Stippling Brush but this is definitely my favourite for applying my liquid foundation even though it's meant for cream/powder. Out of all 3 of the brushes, this one leaves me with the most flawless finish with good coverage. I do sometimes use the others but this is the one I reach for the most to create the perfect base.
3. Contour - The Contour brush is also part of the Real Techniques Core Collection. As you can see the RT Brushes are definitely my favourite. I use this brush for applying my powder highlighter to my cheekbones, brow bones and sometimes down the center of my nose. I usually find it hard to find the right size of brush to apply my highligher but this is perfect. Oh and all RT Brushes are synthetic which makes them really easy to wash.
4. Blending - I bought this eye shadow blending brush when I was studying Makeup Artistry in college and I don't remember where I got it from at all, it was definitely a website that my tutor recommended though. I love this for blending out my shadow when I'm doing a smokey eye, it's horrible when you see people with a harsh line. I've had it for years and it's stayed in such good condition. I definitely recommend investing in a good quality blending brush as it helps create a gorgeous smokey eye. I don't know what I'd do without this!
5. Angled - This angled brush came in my brush kit when I worked for New CID Cosmetics. I use this to apply my Benefit Brow Zings powder. You do get a similar one with Brow Zings but the handle's really short, this one is much easier to hold and because it's angled, it's so easy to get the right shape when filling in my brows.
So that's my 5 favourite makeup brushes, what are your favourites?
Tuesday, 27 November 2012
Right now this is what's on my bedside table, although it's usually much messier than this with a few empty crisp packets or makeup covered cotton pads. I love having a candle lit in my room at night, it helps me relax after being at work and this one has an apple scent so it makes my whole room smell nice. I also have flowers which is rare for me but I love having them in my room, they're so pretty and a lovely touch.
I like to have a moisturiser and lip butter close to me, especially now that it's winter and my skin is getting drier. Right now I'm loving Nivea! I'm using the Caramel Cream lip butter - it smells amazing and the Pure & Natural moisturiser. I actually only picked this up because I couldn't afford my usual Clarins Daily Energiser but it seems to be doing the job just as well and I have no complaints. I apply them both before I go to sleep so it's handy to have them on my beside.
I also always have a magazine or book on it for some bed time reading and two of my favourite magazines are Elle and Grazia. I love that Grazia is more of a high end weekly and Elle is just my all time favourite, I have a huge collection of them.
You've probably spotted my Harry Potter Slytherin mug too. I'm obsessed with Harry Potter (I know, such a geek) and I've always got this mug on my bedside filled with either Tea or Coffee depending on the time of day.
What do you think of this post? I think everyone should do it, I'd love to read them.
Sunday, 25 November 2012
|[image - weheartit]|
I've been struggling to write posts lately because I haven't had time to take photographs so I saw this Tag on Sarah's blog and thought it was a really interesting and fun tag to do - here it goes...
Why did you start blogging and how long have you been blogging for?
I've only been blogging since April and decided to start after coming across the beauty blogging world on twitter. I'm a Makeup Artist and love everything to do with beauty so I wanted to start a blog to share my thoughts and findings with people who felt the same way as me.
Whose blog did you fall in love with first?
Belles Boutique - I came across Laura's blog while on twitter one day, completely fell in love with it and started reading it daily. She definitely inspired me to start my own and I'm still a regular reader!
Most important part about doing a blog post?
The most important part for me is getting perfect photographs. If I can't get my photos just the way I want them then I won't continue to write the post until I get them right. Spelling and grammar is also pretty important, but blurry/out of focus photographs are one thing that puts me off a blog.
What kind of camera do you use?
What kind of camera do you use?
I don't use anything special, I just use a Hitachi HDC-I409EP. I really want a DSLR but I can't afford it so I just make the most of my little digital camera. I make sure to use natural light and no flash for my photographs and also use white paper/card as a background to make them nice and bright.
What was the first blogosphere hyped product you bought and was it worth the hype?
What was the first blogosphere hyped product you bought and was it worth the hype?
I'd say it has to be a Revlon Lip Butter. Not long after I started blogging these were popping up everywhere with great reviews so I had to pick one up. To be honest, it was not worth the hype to me! At first I loved it but after a while it melted and began to snap and looked pretty messy, every time I tried to use it it would get everywhere. This happened with both the lip butters I bought so it put me off them and I've not used them since.
What are your 5 favourite things about blogging and being a beauty blogger?
- All the lovely blogger friends I've made and speak to every day, it's great to talk to people who understand my addiction with beauty products.
- It looks great on the 'Hobbies' section of my CV because before I blogged I never really had anything interesting to write in that section apart from 'socialising'. I also think it gives me an edge when going for an interview and definitely think it helped me get my new job.
- My makeup collection is bigger and better than ever now because I like to keep up with all the beauty hypes and trends.
- When people tell me they read my blog and that they've found products they love because of my reviews - sometimes I still can't believe people actually read my blog.
- Discovering products and brands that I would never have came across before.
Have you changed anything since becoming a beauty blogger?
My skincare routine is much better now that I've started blogging, I cleanse, tone and moisturise twice daily now and take much better care of my skin. I also take more risks with my makeup - before I'd never wear a dark berry lip but these days I don't feel right without my lipstick on.
What advice would you give to a blogger just starting out?
What advice would you give to a blogger just starting out?
It takes hard work, time and dedication to make your blog successful and if you stick it out, it will definitely happen. Also have fun with it, it shouldn't be a chore.
You're favourite eyeshadow palette?
Right now it's the MUA Heaven & Earth palette which is great for every day and for nights out. I really want the Urban Decay Naked palette's though.
The best beauty deal?
When Boots has it's 3 for 2 on - I just love it!
Make up regrets?
When I was about 14/15 my makeup was terrible. Glitter eye liner, eyebrows not filled in and gallons of clear lipgloss - yuck!
Name your top 5 beauty brands?
Name your top 5 beauty brands?
Recommend your top 5 beauty products?
- Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream
- NARS Laguna Bronzer
- Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer
- MAC Angel Lipstick
- Dior Show Mascara
I tag all of you!!
Thursday, 22 November 2012
Like a lot of my fellow bloggers, I also got an email from Beauty Sets telling me about their brand new blogging tool and thought I'd have a little play about with it. So here are a few of my dream Christmas presents...
- Christian Louboutin Heels - For so long I've lusted after Louboutin's and been jealous of everyone who owns a pair. My favourites are the simple black Daffodile platform heels. Maybe one day I'll save up and get myself a pair - I can't resit the trademark glossy, red sole!
- Alexander McQueen Scarf - I've got a lovely little Primark copy of this scarf that cost me an amazing £3, but who could resist the deal real? I love this colour for Autumn/Winter. Maybe if I'm good Santa will bring me one.
- Mulberry Handbag: I've wanted a Mulberry handbag ever since I started getting into fashion, so almost forever. My favourite is the Oak Bayswater because it's such a classic and I don't think it would ever date. I've asked my whole family just for money for Christmas and I'm going to save up a bit and treat myself to this!
What's on your luxury Christmas list?
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
Last week I was lucky enough to win this gorgeous Dior highlighter in Emma's 100 follower giveaway. Emma has a gorgeous blog, you need to check it out and she's obviously so generous - what an amazing prize! Amber Diamond has been on my wishlist ever since my sister came in and showed me hers then used it on me a couple of times.
I love using highlighters, I think they're the perfect finishing touch to my makeup. Powder highlighters are definitely my favourite as I think they have the best pigmentation and are easiest to apply, especially because most of my makeup is powder based. Amber Diamond contains five golden shades that when used together gives such a gorgeous, warm glow to my skin. I apply highlighter to my cheekbones, brow bones and sometimes down the bridge of my nose and my cupids bow if I'm going a night out. The thing I love about Amber Diamond is that it's not too over powering, it's really natural. I also love the midnight blue Dior packaging, so sophisticated.
Even though I've barely used this, I love it and it's already replaced by beloved NARS Albatross as my favourite. However, I think I'll save it for special occasions and try not to use it every day. I always tend to go for gold toned highlighters so I think next time I'd like to try a pink one, maybe Rose Diamond - why not have both? Thank you so much Emma, definitely one of my favourite things in my makeup bag now!
Have you tried Dior Amber Diamond? What you do think of it?
Saturday, 17 November 2012
After about a year of stealing my sisters Benefit Brow Zings, I decided it was time to buy one for myself. You'll see in previous posts I've mentioned that I've used this but only because I always sneak into my sisters room and use hers oops, she also uses it on me every time she does my makeup. Until now I was using either a Bobbi Brown or an MUA brown eye shadow to fill in my brows as I love having a dark, defined look. I only started filling in my brows when I was about 17 which was with a Rimmel Brown eyebrow pencil and before that I just used to leave them. Looking back now on pictures it looks so strange not having my eyebrows filled in as now I can't imagine leaving the house without them done. Eyebrows frame your face to I think it's important for them to look good. Sometimes I wish I had thicker brows, as you can see above without them filled in they're really sparse with no shape to them. Although I am quite lucky as I don't have to pluck them much, I just usually have a few strays underneath.
Brow Zings is a complete eyebrow kit and includes:
- Pigmented wax for shaping
- Natural shaded powder for setting
- Hard angle brush
- Blending brush
Brow Zings comes in three shades; light, medium and dark. I went with the dark as my eyebrows are naturally dark brown. When I'm doing my eyebrows, I start off by tweezing any stray hairs. In the instructions you are given with the kit it says to use the shaping wax first, however I like to use the powder to give my eyebrows the shape I want and then use the wax on top to set it (In the picture above the wax is on the left and the powder is on the right). I use my New CID Cosmetics angled brow brush (which I got in my brush kit when I worked for them) instead of the brushes that come with it and sometimes if I'm in a hurry I skip the wax step and it still lasts all day.
Overall, I love this product and I've been using this every single day since I bought it, it's so much better than the eyebrow pencil or shadow that I used to use. It is a bit pricey at £22.50 but for a product that will last you ages and one you use everyday I definitely think it's worth the money. What do you use to fill in your eyebrows? Have you tried Benefit Brow Zings? I definitely recommend it!
Thursday, 15 November 2012
1. Jumper - New Look
2.Tights - Dorothy Perkins
3. Onesie - New Look
4. Headband - Topshop
5. Snood - Topshop
6. Cardigan: Warehouse
Ever since last Winter I've been loving the Fair Isle trend, but I never got round to buying anything so I'm glad it's still in fashion this year. I thought I'd put together a little post on some of my favourite Fair Isle items I've seen while browsing online as I've not had time to post this week. I'll be back to my usual blogging at the weekend, I've been working all week and by the time I get home it's been too dark outside to take blog pictures so I think I'll take loads on Saturday and Sunday.
The jumper and cardigan are my favourite and are so Christmasy! I've also been dying for a onesie recently, they just look so comfy for lounging around the house on cold, lazy winter days. If you're not brave enough to go for a bold jumper why not try an accessory? The tights, snood or headband are great for adding a bit of the Fair Isle trend to your winter wardrobe. What do you think of the Fair Isle trend?
Sunday, 11 November 2012
Disco Leggings: Missguided
Ring: Love Hearts & Crosses
Armani Luminous Silk Foundation 6,5
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer Medium 3
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
MAC MSF Medium
NARS Laguna Bronzer
NARS Albatross Highlighter
MUA Heaven & Earth Palette
MAC Eye Shadow Carbon
MAC Kohl Eye Pencil Feline
Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara Blackest Black
Benefit Brow Zings Dark
Eylure 140 Lashes
MAC Lipstick Creme D'Nude
Last night I went a night out in Glasgow with my two friends. It was a bit of a last minute thing and I picked up this top in work for £6 and thought I could wear it with my disco leggings. As you can see, me and Jacqueline ended up wearing matching outfits, but her AA Disco Pants are the real deal - jealous! My boots are from Primark last year, they have fur round the top but they can be worn both ways so I've zipped them right up. I also need to mention how much I'm loving my Foxy Locks extensions, they're so thick and long and I'm definitely getting my moneys worth out them. I got to wear a lot of my new makeup, I love my Armani foundation and cant wait to review it for you. I didn't get a good photo of my makeup so sorry for the horrible one above! I've also got on my St Moriz tan which I got for £2.99, such a bargain and makes me so dark. I hope everyone had a lovely weekend, I'm now in bed dying!
Saturday, 10 November 2012
I thought I'd do a post on all the beauty products I've picked up over the last few weeks. I'm not going to go into much detail on some of the products though as I'll be doing full reviews on them soon. As you can see I think I've got a slight shopping problem...
- Real Techniques Core Collection: I've already got a few of the Real Techniques brushes and absolutely love them but the Core Collection has been on my wishlist from the start, mainly because of the Buffing Brush! The set comes with four face brushes; Detailer Brush, Pointed Foundation Brush, Buffing Brush and Contour Brush. I'll be using the Detailer brush for my concealer and the Countour Brush for powder highlighter. I'm not too sure whether or not I'll use the Foundation Brush as I've already got the Stippling Brush and Expert Face Brush for my foundation, however I can't wait to use the Buffing Brush to apply my foundation as I've heard its a favourite and gives you the most flawless finish. Any tips on what to use the Pointed Foundation brush for? This set costs £21.99.
- Armani Luminous Silk Foundation 6,5: When a couple of my friends from my old work tried this foundation and gave it such an amazing review, I decided I needed it. I also heard Kim Kardashian uses it and her skin always looks amazing. When I went to my local Armani counter and asked for it the girl looked at me for about 5 seconds before suggesting I go for the shade 6,5. She tried a bit on my jaw line and it blended in perfectly. This really is the perfect colour for my skin so I was really impressed with how good the girl on the counter was as I don't usually trust them and like to pick my own shade. I've only used this a couple of times and love it so far, I'll be doing a full review on it soon. It is a bit pricey at £34 but I got my friends House of Fraser discount on it.
- Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer Medium 3: I buy a lot of products because my sister has them and has either used them on me or raved about how good they are and this is one of them. I find it hard to find a good concealer and don't usually go for a liquid but I love this. It brightens up my dark circles and hides any blemishes I have. It also lasts all day which is perfect for when I'm at work. It's also a bargain at £4.19.
- Rimmel Stay Matte Powder 001 Transparent: This is another product my sister uses on me and I've also seen Tanya Burr use it a lot in her video tutorials. I always powder my foundation once I've applied it (one thing that's stuck with me from my Makeup Artist training) as it helps it last longer and I tend to get shiny during the day. I was running out of my Chanel Universal translucent powder but couldn't afford to spend £30 on a powder right now so I decided to pick this up. I usually use a loose powder but surprisingly I'm really liking this pressed powder and it doesn't go cakey when I touch it up during the day. Also a bargain at £3.99
- Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara Blackest Black: Another product I'm not going to go into much detail with as I'll do a full review on it. My sister uses this mascara and I also seen a review of it on Kayleigh's blog. I always use up my mascaras so quickly and wanted to try something different as I usually always go for Dior Show or Benefit They're Real. I've not used it much yet but I'll let you know what I think when I do my review. It only cost £9.99 as well which is a bonus.
- Benefit Brow Zings Dark: I've used my sisters one of this for months now and always love my eyebrows when she's used this on me. My eyebrows are so sparse with no shape if I don't fill them in and I'm such a fan of bold, statement brows so I thought it was about time to buy one of these for myself. Brow Zings costs £22.50 and I'll also be doing a full review on it soon.
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Kohl Eye Pencil 005 Nude: I've seen this liner on a few beauty blogs recently and decided to pick one up when Boots 3 for 2 was on. I use this on my waterline and it really brightens up my eyes, especially when I haven't had much sleep.
- MAC Kohl Eye Pencil Feline: I've always got a black kohl liner in my makeup bag and usually reach for Rimmel Jet Black, but yet again my sister used this product on me and it lasted all night! I love finishing off a smokey eye with a kohl liner and this one's perfect, I can't wait to use it tonight. It's a bit pricey for an eyeliner, it costs around £15 but it's totally worth it.
- MAC Lipstick Pink Nouveau and Creme D'Nude: I've now purchased my 11th and 12th MAC lipsticks and was thinking about what colours are missing from my collection. I didn't have a light pink or a true nude so decided to go with both of these. These are great everyday colours that can be worn all year round and Creme D'Nude will look great with a dark smokey eye on a night out, I love dark eyes and nude lips! These cost £14 each.
As you can see I've spent far too much money on beauty products lately but I just can't help myself. I think I need to go on a beauty spending ban!
Tuesday, 6 November 2012
NARS is one of my favourite makeup brands at the moment and I've got my eye on so many products! I've already got the Laguna bronzer, Orgasm blush and Albatross highlighter and have recently got this blush as a gift. My friends from my old work got me this as a leaving present along with MAC Vegas Volt lipstick, Chanel Frenzy nail varnish, Eylure 140's (my fav), a gorgeous gold collar necklace and an amazing accessorize chunky snood. I couldn't believe how much they got me, definitely the best leaving present and workmates ever.
I love the NARS sleek, black packaging but as I've said before it does get a bit dirty in my makeup bag so I'm always cleaning it with a makeup wipe. I've had my eye on the Desire blusher for a while as I like to have a bright pink in my collection at all times. I usually go for MAC Dolly Mix but I'd recently run out of it so was so excited when I opened this up! Its a gorgeous barbie pink, so girly and right up my street. The pigment is absolutely amazing, you only need the tiniest amount on your brush, sometimes I tend to put a bit much on and have to tone it down a bit with my translucent powder.
Overall, I love this blusher and think pink is a perfect all year round colour - everyone needs one in their collection. NARS blushers retail at £21 and can be bought at your nearest NARS counter or online here. I can't wait to get my hands on even more NARS products! What's your favoure NARS product, any recommendations?
Sunday, 4 November 2012
I've been meaning to write a post on this lipstick ever since I got it from my boyfriend for my birthday which was at the start of September, I just kept forgetting or writing other posts. First of all, I am in love with the YSL Rouge Volupte lipsticks, a girl needs at least one luxury lipstick in her collection. I already owned Sensual Silk which is such a lovely nude and had been lusting after Rose Paris for months, (someone must read my wishlist posts) it's such a gorgeous, summery pinky/coral colour.
First of all the thing that draws me to these lipsticks the most is the unbelievable packaging, the gold and the detail on it is so gorgeous and sophisticated. I love how it shows you what colour it is in the detailing around the middle and love getting it out on a night out. The lipstick also has a gorgeous Watermelon scent which is great for me as I hate lipsticks with horrible perfumey scents (*cough* L'Oreal).
The formula of the lipstick is extremely creamy and moisturising and glides on like a dream. The only downside of it being so creamy is that I feel it doesn't last as long as other lipsticks, but that's just an excuse to get it out more and show it off! It also has excellent pigmentation and a little goes a long way. I love the colour, especially for Summer as right now I'm wearing a darker lip.
The lipsticks are ridiculously expensive at £23.50, but I think the packaging alone makes up for that. So if you're looking for a little luxury why not treat yourself to one of these beauties or pop it on your Christmas list.
Friday, 2 November 2012
Yesterday I picked up
The MUA varnish is a very pale pink called 'Natural Days.' I was really impressed with this for being only £1 as it only took two coats for it to look opaque which is quite difficult for such a pale colour. I also love how opaque the Barry M glitter nail paints are and there are so many other gorgeous colours to choose from. At £2.99 I think i'll be picking up a few more.
I think these colours look lovely together and I think the glitter will look great on its own at Christmas time. Have you tried any of the MUA nail varnishes or the Barry M Glitter Nail Paints?